Old 09-01-10, 04:12 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Spudd
We declared August "no-car month" at my house. We used the car 4 times during the month:
* 2 trips out of town (we could have stuck to our principles and rented but it seemed dumb)
* 1 trip to the bike shop when my seat post bolt gave out and my bike was basically unrideable
* 1 trip to the grocery store when we'd already biked 57km that day, and it was 30+ degrees (celsius) out, and we were going to have guests over soon... yes we caved hehe

I think we're officially car-lite. The car costs nearly $300/mo in insurance so I'm tempted to go car-free, but it's sooo handy to have when we really need it, I'm going to have a hard time cutting the cord. At this point what I'm thinking is we'll hang onto it until we get our next big repair bill, and then rather than repairing it, just sell it and be done with it.

In the meantime, we'll definitely do at least some errands by bike/foot. I don't drive to work and my husband works from home, so no car needed for that.
It sounds like you're in a good situation to be carfree, so I won't be surprised if we soon hear that you are. Do you ever use public transit?

As for waiting until your car needs a repair to sell it--keep in mind that you won't get much money for it if it isn't running well, and it might take a long time to sell, even at a low price. Almost every used car buyer wants a vehicle that runs well.

"Think Outside the Cage"