Old 09-01-10, 09:47 PM
mrpincher

Bikes: Broken Fuji Sundance 80's, Jamis Coda E, Surly LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fargo here Fargo there - on my fargo everywhere

Sorry about the title couldn't help myself.

I attached some pics - this bike IS different. I find it's very comfortable, easy on my shoulders and wrists, a joy to ride loaded or unloaded. I truley mean that. I now own an LHT, Fuji, Jamis, Fargo and each has accompanied me on tours. This fargo is the easiest to climb hills with and for some strange reason easy to get rolling out of the intersection in traffic. It's stable and stiffer than the LHT. I remember weighing it and it was a smidge lighter than my LHT (for a comparison.)

I feel obligated to say this - the myth of all fargo's wobbling uncontrollably is not true. Mine does not wobble in the least - I've tried to induce a shimmy - it won't do it. For the record, my LHT will shimmy if I put my "surly nice" front rack on and load the front panniers light and put on the handlebar bag. I will mention that I fixed the LHT shimmy by trial and error - obviously that's not possible in all cases on all bikes.

The post mentions loaded touring - I've had this fargo on the road a couple years ago in Canada. Rode unsupported/loaded from Vancouver up to Whistler then up a real big & steep hill to Kamloops then north up #5 over to the breathtaking Mt Robson and a short jog right to Jasper down through Banff on over to Calgary. It was a spectacular ride, an ideal setting for a bike tour. The picture by the river (I think the big Thompson) is how I loaded up for this trip. I had to pile everything on the rear rack becuase I had NO room left in my airline luggage for two front panniers. The Mavic A719 rims are stellar choices for touring. The rear wheel handled all that extra weight without issue. I prefer riding with both front and rear pans because the bike feels balanced.

I also took this rig from here in Amarillo Texas north up through the Oklahoma panhandle, Kansas , into Colorado then west behind the front range to Leadville, Aspen, Berthoud, Grand Lake to Estes. Another epic ride.

The only bothersome issue I have with the bike is the pump won't stay secure becuase of the profile of the couplers. PITA.

I built this up from the frame. I'll see if I can dig up my component list and post it. Bilinky (?sp) did the couplers.

Fargo gets five stars for loaded touring in my book. -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Canada2009 110..jpg (100.8 KB, 175 views)
P1000799..jpg (104.2 KB, 230 views)
newbike 143..jpg (93.6 KB, 162 views)
P1000800..jpg (97.1 KB, 207 views)
newbike 142..jpg (94.0 KB, 150 views)

Last edited by mrpincher; 09-02-10 at 11:57 AM. Reason: I said Aspen - I was thinking Winter Park.