Old 09-04-10, 10:45 PM
gerlad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
installing new handlebars and brakes, some beginner questions...

hey all,
i'm a newbie to the scene of singlespeed/fixed gears. i bought a single speed a few years ago, when i had no idea what i really got.

but recently i've decided to try to build this thing up a little bit. i'm a definite beginner as far as knowledge.. i've been reading around on sheldon brown's page and these forums, but i have a few questions.

my first project is installing new bullhorn bars and brakes, and then taping them.
(my frame is a trek of some sort. i'm not even sure which model)

questions:

how do i know which size bullhorns will fit my stem? do i need to measure the opening of the stem? do i then use the size of the bars to find a brake that fits? do i want bars that are pre-drilled? or do i just want to take the cables underneath the bartape. are there any good tutorials for bartaping?

also, does anyone have recommendations for bullhorn/reverse-brake combos? i'm on a pretty strict budget, so cheaper is better. mostly i'm just trying to make sure i don't buy the wrong size or the wrong parts.

any help, advice, or cautionary tales would be super helpful! in the meantime i'll keep looking around.
thanks so much!