View Single Post
Old 09-05-10, 08:36 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
For cycling in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area), you may want to ask up in the Eastern Canada forum. I know several folks form Toronto hang out in the Commuting forum as well.

My experience cycling in Canada is limited to my annual trip to the family summer place in the Rideau Lakes region of rural southeastern Ontario.

Highway departments in the area seem to have rejected the idea of paved shoulders. Pavement ends at the white line where a narrow shoulder of rounded pebbles begins. It's not at all rideable. Even locals on mountain bikes have difficulty with it. The pebbles roll out from under the tires as the bike sinks in a couple of inches.

In contrast, the actual dirt roads are well-maintained. Here any gravel that's spread is sharp, crushed limestone that's packed pretty well, and stays that way. My road bikes and I sail along dirt roads without a care.

Given that on the highways road cyclists have no choice other than the main lane, drivers seem much more forgiving. Those times when a car passes too close, almost always the plates on the car are from the States. Still, there are certain highways I won't ride on the weekends, sticking to the county roads instead.

When I return to New York State, I have a renewed gratitude for our wide, paved shoulders.