View Single Post
Old 09-08-10, 12:48 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
Wow, all the advice is spot on. The only thing I'll add is that an extra bike is always a good thing. We all can help provide reasons for N +1.
There is always a reason for N+1. The spare bike is always there for the trips to the shop- when a gentler ride is proposed and you don't need to get the good one out- and for those days when the new bike gets pulled out of the shed and it has a buckled wheel- puncture- or some other malady that will stop you riding it today.

I rode MTB's for years and always had 2 bikes. One of which got more rides than the other but the "Spare" bike got enough outings to warrant it. Then the tandem came along but at the cost of that thing- I could never afford another one.

But 4 years ago I gave these road things a try. Only a lowly OCR3 but it got me road riding. Found I had to adapt to the Drop bars and a few upgrades were required but a year later I was ready for a good bike. Got one and the learning curve of the OCR had done its job. I kept the OCR as a wet/inclement weather bike but one foul day with lots of rain and high winds and I sloshed into the LBS. They offered me a good deal on a Giant MTB- but my reply after only 18 months on a road bike was that if any bike was going to be replaced- it was going to be the OCR. 2 weeks later and I was back in the shop building up my new TCR-C. Then a year later I found I had a better use for the TCR- as a bike set up for the Mountains - but it seemed to be out on permanent loan to my Son-in-Law. No good- Went to the LBS and got a replacement for his TCR so I could get it back. Still got the OCR though and it does get the occasional ride.

But the type of riding you do will dictate what your next bike should be. If you mainly ride on the road- then go road bike. If rough trails- then think hybrid or cyclocross but higher end hybrids. Then there is the Manufacturer---this is normally the brand that your LBS carries but do look at the choices that are available.

No need to go high end at first but get a bike that others recommend. Only thing I would suggest is forget material of the frame. The thing that will tell you if a bike is for you is a test ride. And not going to knock your weight- but if there is a chance of getting a stronger wheelset as an upgrade when you buy the bike- then do it. You can always use them as training wheels when you get down to 160lbs.

Spike Milligan