Thread: touring stove
View Single Post
Old 09-09-10, 09:10 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6217 Post(s)
Liked 4,214 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBlueToe
I'm wondering what specific dangers you're thinking of. I know that if a spark ignited the gas while I was pouring it into a tank it would be bad. But I fill up my truck without worrying too much. There's often some spilled gas - usually from gas left in the nozzle - when I fill up my vehicles. I can fill my MSR bottle with no spillage, but not much more than 50% of the time. It's similar to when I buy gasoline for my lawnmower. It seems like it calls for caution, but not something that is so dangerous as to be completely avoided.

When I filled the tank on my Coleman 442 from my MSR bottle, and when I disassemble my Whisperlite, there can be some "loose" gasoline. I keep the gas away from any flames, and don't do any of this until the stove has cooled off. Should I be worried?
The control on a gas pump nozzle isn't all that fine. I'd be concerned about spills and sparks.

As for spillage at camp, you should be fine as long as you don't have any ignition sources around when you disassemble your stove. Letting the stove cool before taking it apart...liquid fuel, butane or alcohol...is always prudent.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!