Old 05-09-05, 01:46 AM
Bruce Rosar

Bikes: Road, Mtn, Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John C. Ratliff
Why then are you comfortable with these cars coming by you at 55 mph, and 2-5 feet off your elbow?
Generally, because driving vehicles (whether pedal or motor powered) according to the rules for the movement of vehicles within the traveled way (that portion of the public way intended for vehicular travel) is the most effective means of transportation between my destinations.

Specifically, because drivers on high-speed roads (such as our local Rt. 64) almost always give me room enough so that I feel comfortable when they pass me (sometimes at speeds which I estimate to be 55+ mph). I do feel less comfortable on the rare occasion when a driver passes me with less room than I prefer.

During daylight hours, I find that a rear view mirror helps to maintain my comfort level by reducing the "pucker factor" of a surprise pass (in the dark, the glow from their headlight provides the notification). Another practice that improves my comfort is keeping some usable pavement to the outside of my line of travel (for those once in a decade occasions when a passing driver goofs and returns to their original path before they're clear of my vehicle).