View Single Post
Old 09-12-10, 06:28 PM
TXBDan

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX, Trek Checkpoint

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Holllllyyy crap, i had my first cycle race ever today and man was it awesome.

I had started this summer with noble plans for 'cross training and to be in shape before the season. It started out well, but it tapered off pretty bad as of late due to work being crazy. For the past six weeks all i've done is commute on my bike and jog a couple nights a week. But oh well, gotta start some time. I did do a cross clinic last wednesday and boy am i glad i did.

So today was the day. Everything was new to me from registering, to pinning my number, to lining up in the mob start line, to the race itself. I feel i started out strong and held a respectable position for the first lap. The course was on the technical side, lots of turns, dirt, some sand, etc. I found that i'm pretty good at that stuff because i used to mountain bike recreationally a lot. I was routinely passing people in the tight turns and being aggressive with my line, corner entry speed, corning speed, etc. I'm comfortable with my bike being squirrely and it was a clear a lot of guys weren't. I did crash twice with this enthusiasm, but it was fun to get dirty and nothing was hurt or damaged.

But then my lack of fitness caught up to me and i slowly gassed throughout the race and was passed. I had a good battle with another guy for a good two laps. That was a lot of fun and i'm sure it made both of us push a lot harder. We got lapped and wound up in the back of the pack, we were a few guys from last. Barriers and hike-a-bike sections were no freaking joke when you're gassed. That was not fun at all. all technique/form out the window. it was painful for sure.

My goals going in were:
1. survive: check
2. have fun: check
3. don't finish last: check
4. crash: check

Did i mention it was AWESOME? I had so much fun and am feeling pretty optimistic overall. On a simple level it was a damn exciting course and riding cross bikes hard like that is so much fun. Add in the competition, the battles, the excitement of a race. Throw me in the 'hooked' bin. I'm already signed up for my next two races. I have so much motivation to train now, i can't wait.