Cheese

Bikes: Trek 520 & an old huffy mtb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HB.Watermelon
Hi!
Is weight an issue when commuting to work?
Not really, no. It's already full of textbooks, folders, etc.

Are you worried about your laptop?
Yes, Arkel makes a laptop pouch that attaches to the top of the bag (on the inside, obviously) so it has some give and isn't just bouncing around on the bottom of the bag. I'm thinking about getting one.

How important is aesthetic to you? Or, is function more of a selling point?
I'd say it's about 95% function. If a bag looks like it's from the 80s, I'd probably pick a similar model from a different brand. Aside from ridiculous graphics and color schemes, looks are not a big factor for me. Aesthetics to me usually revolve around the design being practical and engineered well.

How do you feel about the pannier bags currently available at stores?
Many of them seem like they are cheaply made and wouldn't last as long as I'd like given daily use and the occasional bike tour. I'm a big fan of the material Arkel uses.

Anyone worried about theft? of the stuff inside the panniers, or the panniers themselves?
My bags go with me when I get off the bike, so this is a non-issue for me.

Are there any commuters who don't use panniers? why?
I'm sure there are, can't comment on it though.

For those using the multi-function pannier/backpack - how do they function at their separate tasks? Anyone worried about the straps getting into the wheel?
One of my bags is an Arkel Bug. It works perfectly for what I use it for, which is mostly walking around campus between classes. I wouldn't want to use it as a backpack for a day hike or anything, but in a pinch it wouldn't be a big deal. The bag has two flaps on the back secured with velcro, when the bag goes on the bike, the straps go under the flaps and are secured nicely... so, no, not really worried about it.

Anyone dead set on just using a backpack? Why? Do you think they are ergonomic for bike use?
There is definitely a factor of wind resistance to consider between panniers vs backpacks, but the difference seems pretty minuscule. I don't like riding with backpacks because my back gets all sweaty.

Does anyone go to the gym/yoga after work on their ride home? ie is a 'sweaty cloths' compartment needed?
It might be a nice feature for some folks, but I would prefer to use a plastic bag, that way the pannier doesn't get nasty and require cleaning more often.

When I have a better idea of my design direction and have something on paper, is anyone wanting, willing, and able to critique the ideas?
Absolutely. I too am a student of engineering and I'd be happy to give comments/critique.