Old 09-16-10, 09:33 PM
surreal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
sturmey-archer drum brake questions

hi.

yeah, i searched. i'm incredibly sorry to have posted a new thread; grumpy ppl who berate others for starting new threads without searching, know this: your grouchy posts are just as annoying, and far more redundant. So,please, don't bother chastising me for not searching enough. I searched plenty, and this new thread will give neophyte drum brake ppl a new possibility for finding something during a search.

On to my questions:
-if my frame has brake cable bosses along the top tube, can the rear drum arm be mounted to the seatstay instead of the chainstay? SA shows the arm mounted to the chainstay, but doesn't specify that it must be so. I want to clamp the sucker down to the seatstay, for a cleaner look, but i am terrified that this will compromise performance. (The frame allows for the cable housing to be used without interruption.)
-the double-ended cable is about 400 feet long. if i want this thing to perform well, i'll need to shorten it. this will obviate the double-endedness of the cable. The good folks at SA included a pinch bolt, presumably to replace the end that hooks injto the actuation arm. It seems as though the cylindrical pinch bolt will fit into the same spot that the little cylinder already on the cable does. Am i missing something here?

Thanks in advance,
-rob