Old 09-21-10, 10:44 PM
Fat Boy
Wheelsuck

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Meanwhile...Did you read the link you posted? It had this nugget in it:

"Their training principles probably include more LSD training (Long Slow Distance Training) than my training programs advice, but I have to admit that these riders become extremely strong (or at least some of them do.) I am not sure these riders will ever reach their physiological potential, but they might hit 98% of their optimal performance and that is more than enough to make talented and determinant riders professional."

Here's the deal. Good trainers like Friel and Chapple know the importance of base building. The don't recommend doing JRA (just riding around) rides. The recommend base training. That means riding for relatively long periods of time in the upper 1/2 of zone 2 heart rate. Most cyclists (even good ones) can't continuously ride in zone 2 for 2 hours or more. It takes training to do it.

Think of your fitness as a pyramid. The bottom of the pyramid is your aerobic fitness. The broader the base, the higher you can ultimately build the pyramid. If the base is narrow, then the height will be limited. You must establish solid aerobic fitness before starting any high intensity training. It takes a mental and physical fitness to do VO2 Max work. Those intervals _suck_. When you've established good base fitness, though, your body and your mind is trained to accept the load you're giving it. Just trying to run out and do them right off the bat is a sure recipe for injury and burn out.

Get this book.
http://www.amazon.com/Base-Building-...5128203&sr=8-1 It's an easy read and it will definitely steer you in the right direction.