Old 09-24-10, 03:27 PM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6761 Post(s)
Liked 5,468 Times in 3,217 Posts
You know, I can't remember if the brakes that came on my first nice bike (a french made Sutter) were Weinmanns or what. Maybe Dia-Compes. They were center pull.

I changed out every component on that bike over time, I had it for close to 25 years and put a lot of miles on it. I did get a deal on a Campy RD and FD and shifters. Changed the brake levers to Shimano 105 when the concealed cables came out. Saddles, handlebars, paint, everything.

But I never even considered changing the brakes. Just didn't use 'em enough. When I did they worked. Didn't make the bike go any faster so I ignored 'em.

<This is probably not true. Upon reflection I guess I did change the brake calipers at the time I changed the levers to Shimano. Memory is an unreliable ally at best. Nevertheless brakes are not the most important components on a road bike. Utility bikes, Oh Yeah. >

My next bike was a lugged steel Bianchi eqipped with 8 speed Veloce (the entry level or maybe just slightly above) and it was my entry into "modern" bike components. I finally wore out the drive train on the steel Bianchi and if I wasn't having serious frame issues (rust at the seat/top tube lug) I might have put Chorus 10 speed on it. Instead I bought a wonderful plastic frame Bianchi 928 with 10 speed Veloce. Best riding bike I've ever owned but certainly nothing exotic or over-the-top.

If I can wear out the Veloce on the 928 it will be replaced with Chorus or Athena. Unless some one gave me (or I found some incredible deal on) Record or Super Record I wouldn't buy it. I don't think my abilities at my ripe old age would do it justice nor is my bike "taste" advanced enough to appreciate the "extra" that the top of the line promises.

I would like the extra Fred points Record or D-A would bring.

Last edited by ahsposo; 09-24-10 at 10:26 PM. Reason: memory is such a fickle teacher.