View Single Post
Old 09-26-10, 02:18 PM
mwatkins

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by colleen c
If you want a comparable backup light on your helmet that can do those need you listed and have it be as bright as your MS, then you probably have to use lights that take 18650 battery
Personally I prefer not to mount on my helmet lights that use lithium based rechargables which can explode.

Yes, I accept that rechargable lithium ion batteries can be used safely, and that there are better and worse brands out there, but overall the risk of an untoward incident is much higher with lithium rechargables than with just about any other common rechargable cell. Using them safely requires knowledge and some minimum test gear, but I doubt very much that every user of said batteries has a digital volt meter and knows what to look for in over/undercharged cells.

If going down that route, it is a good idea to get educated first and to avoid the temptation to treat li-ion cells as being as innocuous as an alkaline or NiMH cell. Treat them like a little bomb and they'll serve you well. Mishandle them and...