Old 09-29-10, 10:18 AM
colleen c
I am a caffine girl

Bikes: 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp...2010 Scott CR1 CF...2007 Novara FS Float2.0...2009 Specialized Hardrock Disc...2009 Schwinn Le Tour GSr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tjspiel
I wouldn't be concerned about weight too much unless it's hilly. It doesn't seem like she's interested in high performance or long rides. Where I would get worried about weight is if at some point she might end up in an apartment or someplace where she'd be lugging it up or down stairs.

Fashion is a funny thing. Though she doesn't want to ride the kind of bike her mother likes, the kind of bike your girl is interested look very much like the bikes my mother road in the early 60's.
I assume she is local around here, if not, then ignore this post. Prettty much agree with tjspiel, my bike is close to 40 lbs and it's not bad at all in the flat. I do slow down on freeway overpass. However if she is in Berkeley, then going toward the hills from the shoreline can be a little more challenging such as going from GGF to UCB. On the on the other hand, if she is in Oak town, then the 40 lbs bike is ok.

Is she planning to commute anywhere on Bart with this bike? That 40 lbs might be an issue as we know how the elevator are so poorly maintain on those station. Too often I find myself hauling my bike up to the platform using the stair and 40 lbs up those stair can be a work out.