Old 10-07-10, 02:54 AM
geej

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
steamroller drivetrain noise on back pressure

i've been noticing a sort of soft grinding / vibrating noise when i put back pressure on my pedals. it's not a harsh noise, but there's definitely an audible difference from when im not putting back pressure. and there's also a faint click but i haven't picked up the patterns of when i hear that one yet. i don't hear anything in traffic, but i usually do on side streets with no one around. not sure if the noise is there if im cranking hard down the street cuz i'm usually only cranking it if i'm trying to keep up with cars which means i can't hear my bike.

been trying to look it up.. i think i've ruled out a BB problem. also i have about 1/2" slack at the tightest point in my chain, so i don't think that's the problem either. chain is clean but it might be able to use some lube, although i lube it everytime after it rains, and its been raining alot lately. i use pedro's biodegradable lube.

it looks like it could be one or more of a couple things:

i've read that steamrollers don't have a perfectly straight chainline? does this contribute to noise?

also i hear surly cogs are noisy?

i'm running the stock SRAM pc-48 (came with the bike) which some reviews say is a noisy chain?
this is 3/32" chain, right? i'm using a surly 3/32" cog.

i feel like there might have been something else but just can't remember at the moment.. basically, im just wondering if this is common and not something to worry about, or if it's something i should get checked out at my LBS. thanks guys!

i got the steamroller complete build back in may