View Single Post
Old 10-08-10, 03:06 PM
Robert Foster
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bekologist
I had to go back and reread this thread to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding what a bicyclist posting in a car-free forum at bike forums was saying about Los Angeles first ciclovia event and how the promoters envision future weekly "car free days" liberating angelenos from their automobiles.

The greater LA region can easily improve the roads and highways for bicycling. How affordably and sustainably LA could improve conditions for bicycling is infinitesimal compared to the costs of a few freeway miles. There are other factors driving transportation policy in the 21st century like air quality or how balancing costs in a declining economy predicates a shift away from the transportation paradigm of subsidized private automobile use.

Cities are looking at where money is being spent, and in a place like Bell, California, you've got to wonder how much could have actually gotten done for the neighborhoods. Where entire counties can fall into bankruptcy, perhaps there's a cheaper way of doing things for the public. Communities show positive social and fiscal benefits by encouraging active transportion and there's no reason for this to somehow be inapplicable in the LA basin.

Cities across the US are having to take a long hard look at their budget shortfalls, particularly in places like Orange County, but people in LA will likely welcome these car free street events like every other city in the world that has them. Ciclovia events are no idyllic pipe dream, and by no means would regular ciclovias in LA mean the interstate freeways would get barricaded and no one could drive their cars in LA on a Sunday.

By no means should bicycle traffic be ignored in a city like Los Angeles. Ciclovias are well received even in huge, sprawling cities. I'm surprised a bicyclist posting at the car-free forum would somehow disagree with that. Mabye that's a sign of the cognitive dissonance about the automobile endemic to life in LA.
The assumptions you are making may be because you have never attended a city council meeting in the LA area or have never seen how many car events a place like LA has and how much money such events bring to the city. If you did you would realize hardly anyone, well maybe 1 in a 100, is even slightly interested in riding from Downtown LA to the beach or LA harbor. Downtown LA to Santa Monica may only be 16 miles by bike but it takes way more than an hour. And it would take more than an hour to get back in the afternoon. The more popular beach area would be Redondo, Hermosa and that is more than 21 miles away. About two hours from the speed most seem to travel in this forum. Families simply aren’t interested is traveling that distance by bike. And when you suggest pulling money from parking, mass transit or road repair to fund bike lanes or bike paths you will be talked down in little or no time.
The second point you seem to miss is people in LA don’t care all that much for walking let alone riding a bike. Just look up the average distance someone walks a year in LA and you will see that if it isn’t part of their specific exercise program most aren’t interested. The questions a cycling advocate has to answer at these meetings needs to take into account, will it be as comfortable as a car? LA busses have to advertise air conditioning.
If we have learned nothing else from Madison avenue we should have learned that modern people want easier, faster, more comfortable a lot more than they want traditional and simpler. No multiply that by two and you have LA. Yes they want less traffic but that is because they would like to see the speed limits increased so they can get from one end of LA to another in less time. They would like to see the speed limits on the freeways bumped to 70MPH. If you lived in the same area of LA as I started with you have the 5, 10, 110, 101, 105, 210, 405, 605, and 710 freeways closer than the same beaches I mentioned earlier.
I believe some politicians are interested in creating a more cycling friendly environment in LA. I just don’t believe there are enough people interested in coming to work and having to shower before they start to increase bicycling commuting to even the most liberal definition of car free.

My skepticism doesn’t come from not wanting to see more cycling friendly infrastructure. It comes from talking to people face to face and seeing the look in their eye when you suggest they might want to cycle to Santa Monica from Union Station. Better yet to hear the complaints when you propose a bicycle lane on a street that has curb side parking for businesses. At my last meeting in our little community the business owner told the city council members if people can’t park in front of their business then they will simply go to the mall and he will have to shut down. They agreed and we were voted down, again. Just so you know I worked for 18 years in Commerce and they were no more receptive than where I live now. To me it is more than theory it is practical application.