Thread: part 5...
View Single Post
Old 10-08-10, 08:11 PM
kludgefudge

Bikes: late 80's bianchi campion d'italia, early 90's trek 2100, early 90's shogun selectra, mid 90's aluminum marin xcMTB, dept. store grade but upgraded columbia double eagle tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=RazrSkutr;11594098]All of which is a long way of saying: "no, my previous statement is based on little more than my personal predjudice".

True nuff. No going to argue with you there. but It is experience, not prejudice, that I am basing my beliefs on. I would love it if everyone that might want to cycle was comfortable navigating a bicycle in traffic without need for BSI for major corridors. And that is urban, not rural, corridors, for the record. In more rural areas, there really is no need period for BSI cyclists are barely delaying drivers, and drivers need to get over it. More driver education about bicyclists right to the road-hell, more driver education period? heck yes.

The urban environment can be significantly more stressful for cyclists; Particularly in that "not quite downtown, not quite out of town" part of the city. Lots of cars, high speeds, few alternative routes. I favor some kind of BSF in these areas over many others where it is truly of dubious value.

And they'll stay that way if you and your cohorts get their way.
They will stay that way whether "me and my cohorts" get our way or not. That is why I am for most BSI I belive the normalization of cycling-through improvements to infrastructure that benefit cyclists as well as driver education- benefits all cyclists

That's part of the problem. Once you and your dystopian crew of infrastructurists get going competent cyclists are frequently denied the ability to take care of themselves. That can be both through legal means and through the social pressure from the ignorant motoring population who have been encouraged in their belief that it's dangerous to ride a bike in traffic by YOU. Thanks a buch feller.
I do not have a fear of the erosion of cyclists rights based on the existence of infrastructure. Maybe I should, maybe yours is well founded, but I don't buy into it. You must live in florida or something. Sorry, but infrastructure fear mongering by those who are comfortable in traffic bugs me

But you don't have to be. That's just a bull**** belief based in fear and misinformation as you should well know if you're an experienced cyclist as you claim.

Your attitude is doing irreparable harm to bicycling in N.America. Look after yourself and stop trying to guess what gets people onto bicycles, especially if your proposed solution is one that ****s it up for those of us that actually cycle.
You have a point. A good one. problem is, the fear isn't going anywhere even if we subtract the misinformation. Honestly, I love the idea of not needing BSI, the same way I love many other unrealistic ideals that don't take into account the steps necessary in between .

Last edited by kludgefudge; 10-08-10 at 08:29 PM.