Old 05-13-05, 02:59 PM
my58vw
Meow!

Bikes: Trek 2100 Road Bike, Full DA10, Cervelo P2K TT bike, Full DA10, Giant Boulder Steel Commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First congradulations on your first race. The hardest thing it seems for new racers to to just get out... that is step one.

I think you had a good race for your first one, very much like my first race. With time you will learn how the pack works and the "edicate" of a race. A couple of things that will help you for next time.

1. Your warmup, 30 minutes minimum but do not get really tired, you should be sweating at the end of your warm up. You do not need to pound or sprint during the warmup, maybe a quick out of the saddle or two. You do want to get a little bit of time in around "race" pace on the trainer to get ready.

2. When we say the pack is go from the gun that means that once the first corner hits the race is on and the speed will increase huge. Do not think because people are clipping in that the first lap or so will be cake. If you sprint out of the start you will be at an advantage getting into the first corner.

3. Pedal through the corners "if you can". That means if the corner is very steep and you are inside you are going to have a hard time pedaling. Learn the point that your pedal hits the floor and if you are beyond that point just coast on through. Usually if most of the pack is coasting then coast.

4. Do not get locked in behind any particular person, just try and stay towards the front. As most said the pack is fluid and you do not want to get caught behind someone getting dropped.

5. If you find yourself in the back do everything you can to get back in before an attack. If you go 100 percent for a second and bridge a gap it may save you time and time again from getting dropped.

6. Keep your head up, watch what is going on. You can sense when something is going to happen, usually the pack starts shifting around or people start accelerating. Do not be afraid to take the corners fast and agressivly and ride right next to people. A little bumping will not cause a crash most of the time, just be aware of it. Get some more group rides in to learn these skills.

7. Remember it is a race, there will be pain, people will not "wait" for you if you get tired... just keep pushing. Racing is one of the most fun things you can do. If you get dropped just use it as an oportunity for a good anaerobic workout. It took me getting dropped in 5 races to finally hang on for 30 minutes. Get as much race experience as you can, some races will pull you if you get lapped.

8. It gets better, you will get stronger and more experienced... just have fun, it will come with time.