Old 10-16-10, 11:17 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked 705 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
Okay, back to the topic at hand. I have never lived in Seattle and have barely visited. I am often in PDX for both business and pleasure. Anyone considering moving there for its claims of bike friendliness really needs to spend more than a few days there. It does have a growing number of city residents using bikes, and that is good. Unfortunately, the bulk of the people in Portland on any given day do not reside within the Portland city limits. This creates a situation where there are just enough cyclists to be a nuisance to the carcissists but not enough for the benefits of critical mass, thus you will experience a fair amount of bike hate. If you move there and add to the number of cyclists, hurray for you; you are hastening the day when people outnumber cars and are thus part of the solution. Just be sure to remove the rose-tinted glasses before you commit.
I live across the Columbia River from Portland and I frequently ride from here to and through the city core. In the 15 years I've lived here (I grew up in California) I have never once experienced "bike hate" to any degree.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..