Thread: Mirror Mirror
View Single Post
Old 10-17-10, 04:10 AM
limeylew

Bikes: A 3-speed fixed, a single speed (freewheel), etc.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by abchurch
Since getting back into cycling the past 5 years, this 50-year-old is appalled at the apparent lack of regard for mirror technology the industry has demonstrated, specifically for the drop handlebar road bike.

Possibly our choices are so limited because the drop bar market is driven primarily by younger image-conscious race-minded riders (the immortals) who refuse to compromise on matters of weight, aerodynamics, or appearance, but we of the drop bar touring class have been left twisting (our necks) in the wind.

Granted, there are a few good mirrors on the market - Mirrycle STI mirror, Aspire Velotech, Bike Eye come to mind - but for a drop bar touring bike with aero levers, bar end mounts, and rear panniers, non of the 3 mentioned are of any use.

After many purchases and extensive trials the most viable options I've found are Blackburn's wrap-on lever mount mirror, and/or various helmet or eyeglass frame mount mirrors. The Blackburn model approaches a satisfactory solution, but falls short (it vibrates out of adjustment at critical moments). Helmet or eyeglass mirrors are difficult to adjust and can be distracting, obstructive, and temperamental (not to mention geeky-looking) . Also, quite often the greatest need arises at awkward bends on busy roads while preparing for a lane shift... helmet and eyeglass frame mirrors tend to be difficult to get into the right position at these moments.

I ordered and am awaiting Rivendell's German bicycle mirror; maybe that one has some promise, but I won't know until I try it out.

Meanwhile I have been experimenting with a homemade solution that seems to work better than anything I've found on the market. I'll share specifics about this after more testing, I'm still tinkering.

If we are to ride carefully and responsibly we need to see what's around us. I routinely encounter situations that dictate the need for a good stable mirror, and I can't be alone, so I invite comments, suggestions, and perspective.

Thanks!
I have been using this style of mirror for about 10 years and I find it works PERFECTLY for me:-

http://www.amazon.com/Cycleaware-Vie...310025&sr=8-40