View Single Post
Old 10-17-10, 11:48 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by d-klumpp
You will be interested to hear that I tested Kool-Stops! When I returned from the test ride in urban traffic, I discussed the bike performance, specifically the unsatisfactory braking. The mechanic suggested taking another spin with some old Kool-Stops. Although this second test ride was just a few more blocks, it was clear that braking improved considerably.

However, I've also read quite a bit about canti-associated brake shudder. I was sad to notice that once the Kool-Stops went on, the shudder appeared on the CAADX. The shudder wasn't as bad as I heard it can be, possibly because Cannondale supposedly uses a /smart brake configuration, but adopting the TRP mini V will enhance braking while eliminating any possibility of shudder.

Dave
good, glad to hear that they are effective (Kool-Stops) The Spec Tricross do have those fork mounted hanger thingees that are mentioned in the other thread you and I have been writing in (for a suggestion for a new fork to reduce chatter) and as I said, it works perfectly with no shudder or whatever at all on my bike. I guess I will have to see if anything crops up with the Kool-Stops but I suspect it will be alright.

From what I have been told, v's are problematic with sti shifters--to be honest I dont really see why, something about cable length I think, but iirc this is what I was told when asking why V's werent used on the cross bikes I saw in stores. In my experience, V's are stronger, but the ones on my old mtn bike seem to be a bit trickier for going suddenly to 7-8 to 11 on the braking scale (endo-wise as I have done in an emergency stop) so I still am waiting to see how disks are for being more "modulating" and suspect to see them on cross bikes more and more.

again, tks for another confirmation that kool-stops make a diff.