View Single Post
Old 10-18-10, 01:07 PM
ScooTrikkeBike
Absorbent Newcomer

Bikes: 21" Motobecane 700HT 26" MTN w/ Thudbuster LT (in the mail), Mongoose DXR-AL 24" Full Sus., Roadmaster Navigator Mt 26" mtn.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks again For all of the feedback.

Hello All,

Thank you for all of the feedback overall and I am now very well educated on bikes in comparison to my prior knowledge.

I have decided to go for the Forge Sawback 5xx in Matte Blue. It has a 19" and should fit me fine. Although I haven't tried the exact bike, I have tried a 19" frame and feel that I have more control on a frame that is a bit too small than a bit too big (my father has a Fuji Sports 12 road bike with a 23" frame that I use when I visit him).

Overall, I really am not a huge fan of hardtail bikes for their PERSONAL fit, but the Sawback 5xx at least has front suspension and is really well built for its price from what I have heard. I am planning on purchasing a Cane Creek Thudbuster Seat Post for it in a month or so once I have the money for it (they're really spendy) because I heard their LT model does a good job or simulating a full suspension feel on an HT bike.

I was originally debating over getting that or a brooks B190 saddle because they both provide excellent suspension, but I am leaning towards the thudbuster because the WTB Sports V saddle that comes with the Sawback I have heard is pretty decent. Overall, I think my total cost will be around $450, but for its components that sure beats the heck out of ANYTHING I have come across in my LBS.

However, I have heard I may have to replace the wheels (WTB SPEEDDISC rims 14G Stainless steel spokes, Joytech alloy QR Disc 32H hubs and ITS Ninja 26" x 2.1" tires) because I weight usually between 255 and 265 lbs (depending on the type of exercise I focused on at the moment) and some have said that the wheels on the Sawback won't be able to handle that kind of weight. Of course, I know it can handle it because my little Wally Mart Mongoose built for kids under 120 lbs can handle my weight (given I have ridden it for a month and the rims are near elliptical and I pedal inward and outward now), but whether it will be at maximum performance is the real question.

I am thinking the thudbuster will help and I am planning on buying the Purple elastomers for it, but the bike's weight limit is 250 lbs and the elastomer weight limit is 250 lbs, so would I possibly be to clyde for my setup?

Any feedback on my decision or answers regarding the saddle vs the thudbuster, possible bie/elastomer/wheel/hub weight issues would be helpful. (I may just have to drop a few pounds though)