Old 10-20-10, 10:49 AM
Fat Boy
Wheelsuck

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by king-tony
I broke mine on July 3rd. I had the surgery a week later, nine screws and a plate. The surgery went really well. I got to the hospital at 9 and was home by 3. 3 days in a sling and that was it. I got back on the bike in 4 weeks and did a 4 day block without any pain, but the more I read about the time it takes to fully heal, the more I realized it was stupid so I gave it until week 8. Since then I have been doing 9-10 hour weeks. I had no complications from the surgery to speak of. I still don't sleep well when I am on my side and laying on the side of the break. There is a little numbness below the incision. However, I was pain free within a couple of days and took nothing stronger than ibuprofen for the first 3 days. My surgeon gave me the option of trying to let it heal without surgery, but after this experience, I am sure that if I have another break I will opt for surgery.

I broke mine last January. I'd write out my experience, but it's almost exactly this. It does take the starch out of your shorts for a while. I don't know how the pro's do it and then get on a bike 2 or 3 days later. It was about 3 weeks after the surgery and about 4 weeks after the break before I was riding.