Old 10-20-10, 09:44 PM
BulkyRider

Bikes: Felt QX95, Klein Quantum2(coming soon)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's result. Finally I BARELY saved some money compare to direct shipping, but wasted about a week due to trouble. I researched and thought it'd be more reasonable to use mail forwarding company(MFC) because one of MFC shows rate $270- when it costs $700- directly by FedEX. HOWEVER, after the package reached to the MFC, they said "it is too big to send by cheap rate. It will costs $515- at least" so I complained via email, but seems they ignore me. A few days later, I called them early in the morning like 5AM and explained the situation. Finally they recognized their system mistake to show cheap rate(In their word, "We effectively lied to you"), and offered 30% discount of actual shipping fee. The discounted rate was still expensive than originally calculated rate, but I compromised because I didn't want to waste the time and also didn't really want to bother the manager (He was nice. He asked company owner for discount cuz it was more than his authorized amount.) Also what if they get angry and kick my package...?

Still not really sure what was the best method, but I think for complete bike, especially which is bigger than USPS acceptable size.
Here's result of total costs, FYI.

Weight 36lbs and box size was 58x33x13

-What I thought-
From OH to MFC:$230-
From MFC to me:$270-(Calculated according to FMC's website)
Total: $500-

-Actual result-
From OH to :$230-
TX to Japan: $360-(*$515- Originally.)
Registration fee: $30-
Total: $620- ($775-. If not discounted.)

-If I send directly-
About $700- by FedEX

Here's my suggestion to those who are thinking of importing items from US.

1. It is NOT reasonable at all to utilize MFC when the box size is bigger than USPS accepts.
2. For frames and some smaller items (especially which offer free shipping within US), You can reasonably save shipping cost by using MFC. If you buy some items, items will be combined and you can save huge shipping fee.
3. Be aware that some MFC have horrible reputation (ex, theft or lost), so far, "US Global Mail" and"MyUS" seems have nicer reputation.

Happy cycling