View Single Post
Old 10-21-10, 06:02 AM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by depleted
I would imagine that a compression sack as a saddlebag, paired with a neatly accessible handlebar bag would separate handy gear and supplies from the camp list. I've been rebelling against the notion that more compartments are better and panel access is better. It just leads to poorer organization and inevitably more "stuff". IMHO

So, just like a frameless backpack, it comes down to capacity and weight. I have a 7lbs 3-season base weight, and can carry 5-7days of food and water (2lbs/day, 3-6lbs water), in a 50L/28lbsMAX pack. I have to do similar numbers to compare this to the combined capacity of the saddlebag and handlebar bag. And then reconsider front or rear racks for a pannier type system (but with slung sacks) if needed.

Great idea to use a handlebar bag for stuff you need at hand.

Food and water are the heaviest stuff you'll be carrying. If you're hiking the AT you might want 5-7 supply, but remember on a bike you can cover 100 miles in a day and that puts you far closer to resupply. Unless I was going to Mongolia 2 or 3 days is the max I'd ever carry