just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
+1!!

And absolutely right about no more chafing and no need to use any creams.
But please, Machka. That's true for you. We are all, luckily, different and our different butts need different saddles just as our differing abilities require different outlets. I think elementary school teachers are wonderful, but I would not be a good one. I'm a fair cyclist, but a terrible basketball player, etc.

There are reasons that maybe 1 saddle in 20 at a brevet start here is a Brooks. I don't think any particular saddle occupies more than 10% of seatposts. The reason is that we are all different, and not that these extremely experienced riders simply won't see the light. We had an explosion of SA saddles a while back, which now seems to be fading as many of those riders are going back to the "regular" cutout saddles. I think saddles keep changing. Manufacturers bring out better models as their understanding of anatomy matures.

What I can't understand is why these 1 in 20 are so vocal. We should be hearing from the Terry Fly faction, probably the most common saddle at our brevet starts. They obviously have just as good an experience with their saddles as the Brooks folks. Of course a Brooks is a wonderful saddle if it fits your butt. So is every saddle that fits someone's butt.