Old 10-21-10, 09:39 AM
USAF1C1X1

Bikes: 2006 Trek 7.5FX, 2010 Trek 7.3FX, Nashbar Cyclocross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Yes, truing and aligning a wheel or rim are all different ways of saying the same thing, namely adjusting spokes so that when spun the rim runs straignt and true (no wobble or vertical deflections). I'd stay with the existing wheels as long as they continue to go for a long time between servicing. Expect the rear wheel to need a complete or rebuild before the front, because it has higher stresses, and because it is asymmetrical as to spoke tension, which though necessary is less than ideal.

You could buy replacement wheels but at your budget, I don't thing you'll get much of an improvement in performance or reliability than what you have, so hold off and cross that bridge when you get to it.
Thanks for the advice. Surprisingly the front wheel looks more laterally untrue than the rear. It is probably because it receives most of the "impact" of the horrible roads we have here in South Korea. Also, I kind of figured I wouldn't get much for a couple hundred bucks, but unless I am building my next bike I don't see a need to spend more than half the cost of the bike on wheels. Then again if this bike turned into a commuter when I got back to the states the sky would be the limit.