Old 10-22-10, 10:51 AM
ROJA
Pepperoni Power

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What is a "substandard width lane"?

I suspect many states are like California in that one of the explicit exceptions to the requirement to right as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or the edge of the roadway is in the case of a "substandard width lane." CVC 21202. The definition provided isn't very illuminating: "For purposes of this section, a 'substandard width lane' is a lane that is too narrow for a bicycle and a vehicle to travel safely side by side within the lane."

Has anyone seen any reliable guidance on what this means? I don't think I've EVER seen a lane that is next to curbside parallel parking that was wide enough for a bike and car to share. This just seems very subjective and what feels safe to a car driver might not feel safe to me.

Thanks.

FULL TEXT OF CVC 21202:

Operation on Roadway
21202. (a) Any person operating a bicycle upon a roadway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at that time shall ride as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway except under any of the following situations:

(1) When overtaking and passing another bicycle or vehicle proceeding in the same direction.

(2) When preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

(3) When reasonably necessary to avoid conditions (including, but not limited to, fixed or moving objects, vehicles, bicycles, pedestrians, animals, surface hazards, or substandard width lanes) that make it unsafe to continue along the right-hand curb or edge, subject to the provisions of Section 21656. For purposes of this section, a "substandard width lane" is a lane that is too narrow for a bicycle and a vehicle to travel safely side by side within the lane.

(4) When approaching a place where a right turn is authorized.

(b) Any person operating a bicycle upon a roadway of a highway, which highway carries traffic in one direction only and has two or more marked traffic lanes, may ride as near the left-hand curb or edge of that roadway as practicable.

Amended Sec. 4, Ch. 674, Stats. 1996. Effective January 1, 1997.