Old 10-22-10, 10:24 PM
x56735x

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just Getting Into Things

Hey guys,

I'm totally new to the whole bike scene and at first wanted a road bike. But alas, I am a poor college student and can't afford something that costs me over a grand. I went to my lbs (umm...bumsteads in ontario CA) and basically after talking to the wonderful staff there, I thought about it and figured of all the times I've ridden a bike, I've never really used more than 1 or 2 gears.

So here I am, converted and convinced that a single speed/fixie should do me well. Now the questions of buying a bike loom over me. What I really truly want is something that is still very light and fast (I'm not planning to do any tricks, just ride for hours at a time, commute, and train for my own benefit) My friend is getting a road bike and I want to be able to keep up with him.

My concerns:
Aluminum frame with carbon forks. (Main concern/want)
With your expertise, would buying a AL/Carbon bike such as the specialized langster for 600ish be cheaper than mixing and matching frames with forks?

Also, can you even do that? Mix and match I mean? And please, what are your $.02 about which combo would work best? Thanks so much for reading.