Old 10-23-10, 11:04 AM
floridabiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What bike?

Hi everyone,

I currently ride a decent trek road bike and have done all kinds of rides on it. The longest was probably an 80 mile solo ride.

I am currently planning an 80 mile (and 80 miles back) with a friend, but this trip will be about 75% very crude pavement and some dirt roads. This obviously makes the road bike a bad choice.

SO i'm trying to decide what to do about getting a bike for this ride.

I really love my road bike and besides this trip any other bike will not get much use. That, along with not having much money for a new bike, leaves me in a bind.

I'm hoping to find someone that i know that would lend me a decent MTB or hybrid, BUT if that doesn't work out, what are your opinions of going out to sports authourity or walmart or something and buying a MTB costing about $100 for this trip?

First off, would a cheap bike like this make it through a trip totaling about 200 miles?
Additionally, i know a hybrid would be the better choice, but the MTB is usually a bit cheaper. If i went with the MTB, would it be absolutely necessary to at least get some slicks? (which may drive up the price beyond making the purchase of a MTB over the hybrid even worth it) If so, would the wisest decision be to buy the hybrid(because its a bit lighter, a bit thinner tires, and not such nobby tires that would have to be swtiched out for slicks)?

As you can see i've got some decisions to make and im really pumped up for this trip and cant wait! Thanks for all the valuable help that i have gotten from this sight!