Old 09-16-02, 06:43 AM
Jean Beetham Smith 
Slow Moving Vehicle

Bikes: Felt F-70, Terry Madeleine, Novara Safari fully customized by me

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some of us can walk into any LBS and they can properly adjust most of the bikes on the floor to fit them. After all, average is pretty average. But for those of us that are outside the average, especially shorter women, less than about 5'2", that is not possible. Giant's compact frame is supposedly able to fit down to 5'2", but I suspect that is for men of that height. Some brands will only send a demo bike to an authorized dealer shop. Many others will accept an order from a non-authorized dealer shop. Your LBS may be able to order a demo bike they don't carry and be able to return it if you don't like it. The only way you can find out is to ask them. I have bought bikes at other shops. Since I am pretty far out of the normal range, it doesn't bother them. Besides, I buy enough lube from them, not to mention lighting systems, replacement batteries, chargers, gloves, etc., that we still have a good working relationship. I've had them do some work that I wasn't ready to tackle myself, and I've gone back to the shops I got the bikes from for some stuff. Basically, if you are a special enough size or have other unique requirements that don't fit your LBS's business model, they may not be able to help you with the bike, but if you come in & buy other stuff often enough, they will forgive you.