Old 10-25-10, 11:35 PM
Ducksoup_SD

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Grasshopper FX recumbent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another vote for the Dinotte 400R...

It's rare if cars don't move into the other lane now when they approach me since I got the Dinotte 400R. The five flash strobe is very effective for getting attention. The light is bolted onto my rear rack where the reflector used to be. Yes, it's expensive (I did wait for an online sale), but it's nowhere close to a trip to the ER. I figured if it kept me from going just once, it's paid for itself (that happened the first day, with an out-of-control teen guy who was clearly thinking about the girl who just broke up with him instead of the traffic around him. I was at a stop sign and he locked up his wheels and came within 2 ft of my rear tire -- he didn't see me or the stop sign until the flashes caught his eye, I guess.). It's kept a few street racers from drifting into me, as well. I added a 400L to the front and it's helped, too. Since most drivers don't regularly encounter recumbents, they are poor judges of the additional speed, especially on a downhill. They used to pull out in front of me -- now they stop and wait. With both running, most drivers treat me much more like a car than a bicycle -- they look to see what I'm going to do and wait for me to make a move. They have certainly made the transition to recumbent riding much easier and more relaxing.