View Single Post
Old 10-26-10, 09:42 AM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
I've had my "disc brake" bike for 2 years now and JMHO, I'm not impressed. Do they stop good, YES and have a better overall feel than my V-brake bike BUT, they seem to need to be cleaned constantly or they make noises (like grinding rocks), I've had the pads checked several times and they are just fine so I have no idea why, even after cleaning, they last a couple of hours, with a nice smooth wirr sound then start sounding like their "grinding rocks again"?? Mine are OEM, that came with my 2009 Jamis Trail-X 3.0 (Tektro??), I've been looking at going to "Avid BB5's" (I've converted my MTB to a road touring bike, so I don't need the 8in. disc's of the BB7's) and just hope that this brand, which seems highly recommended can solve my noise problem. The 2nd. problem I find is that if you have a flat, you have to get the disc lined up "perfect" when replacing the wheel or it makes rubbing noises, arrrrrugh. I've found that I check the alignment of the disc between the pads, put the wheel back on, then with the "weight of the bike" on the wheel, I just move the disc a bit "side to side" and that seems to get the "disc" in just the right place.

JMHO, but the wife's bike has V-brakes and they seem to need very little adjustment or noise. When I buy my next bike, it will have "V-brakes" or better yet, the "cyclocross style cantilever brakes", I like evern better than the V-brakes. YMMV.