View Single Post
Old 10-26-10, 12:44 PM
thestoutdog
Non sibi sed patriae

Bikes: 2012 Surly Ogre (Shrek), 1985 Raleigh Kodiak, 1995 Specialized Hard Rock, 2009 Citizen Miami

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help turning five bikes into three.

I thought this should be posted here, but if the mods want to move it, that's cool. I'm dealing with things across many forums here: Clydes (me), Classic & Vintage (the Kodiak's), Mountain Bikes (Hard Rock), Hybrids... you get the picture.

Here is my plan:

1) I currently have a Trek 730 Multitrack (stock, 19in) that my son is outgrowing as we speak and a slightly larger (21 or w23in) Raleigh Kodiak that he is coveting and almost fits on.

2) I have an older mid-nineties Specialized Hard Rock nearly complete, a larger 25in Raleigh Kodiak, and my Trek T300s that I currently ride.

Goal:

Take the wheels off the 730 and put them on the smaller Kodiak, then move the brakes, shifters, levers, stem and butterfly bars off the 730 on the HR, and move the wheels, headlight and fenders from the T300s to the 25in Kodiak. After everything is moved, I should have two fork/ frame sets and two sets of 27in wheels, to sell, freeing up some valuable real estate in my garage, and making room for a tandem maybe next year. Ultimately, my son and I will have "real" touring bikes and I will have have a beater/ commuter/ grocery getter, and my lovely wife will have fewer bikes to look at in the garage.

Difficulty:

Rebuilding the Hard Rock will be easy, as it is nearly a swap out of parts. The problem I am having is with the tire size and the gearing. The 730 wheel is a seven speed going onto a bike that is currently a six speed, and the T300s is an eight speed going to a six as well.
Both donor bikes are running 700 x 38 tires, and they just fit, leaving no room for fenders.

I guess what I really want is garner some help from the experts hear on BF so I can make this happen using me as the wrench. Any additional information needed, I'll happily provide.
Please and thank you.

Walk More
Bike More
Hike More
Move More
Eat Less.

http://thestoutdog.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/TheStoutdog