Old 10-27-10, 10:28 AM
dougmc

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, Strada

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hotbike
I have the same question; Can a video camera be used to resolve a dispute? I originally asked in the A&S Forum, and 80% of replies said "No", Even Though the SUV was pulled over by Police a little later in the video.
The thread you're referring to doesn't even contain the word "dispute". The results will vary based on what exactly you asked, so you should get that part correct.

I didn't read that thread that carefully, but I don't recall you showing the police the video and then they pulled the guy over. I thought they pulled him over without ever seeing your video. In that case, your video did not resolve any dispute, even if you did show it to them later.

As for your "poll" ... the police usually aren't terribly interested in getting reports of moving violations made to them, even with video evidence. There may be some exceptions, especially for the more egregious violations, but mostly they just don't care. However, if there's an actual collision and you caught it on video, you'll find that people are very interested in seeing that, especially the insurance companies who might be able to use it to avoid paying a claim.

I wish somebody would make a tiny camera like the 808 keychain cameras that took an external power source and recorded all the time that they had power, perhaps keeping 1 GB files and deleting the oldest one as needed to free up space. And of course I wish it had a cost comparable to the 808 keychain cameras. If this existed, I'd put them in my car -- one forward, one back -- powered when the ignition is on. And I'd use them on my bike as well, perhaps getting a hub generator to provide power so I never need to remember to turn them on. They may or may not catch license plates well, but they certainly would end a whole lot of disputes about what actually happened.