Old 10-27-10, 09:14 PM
Louis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by joescotto
Louis,

I read your post regarding the SKS P45 fenders with interest. I'm also using 26x1.5 tires on my tourer & have hesitated to buy a set of P45s as they are sold as being for 700c. I'd like to know if you had to bend or otherwise "persuade" the P45s to follow the curvature of the tire so closely. They look perfect. I'm a longtime tourer but new to the forum, I don't know if you would be able to respond privately.......I'll keep my eye on the thread. Thanks in advance for your time!
Joe S. Massapequa Park NY
Hi Joe, I was a bit hesitant to use those fenders at first because of the 700c specification. However, I was able to adjust them to follow the curvature of the wheel by using the fender stays to pull the fenders in slightly. At the chainstay bridge I used a shortened and drilled wine cork as a spacer to follow the curvature.

Two things to consider...
...Pulling the fenders in as I did is not the ideal way to fit fenders, but it works for me and we'll see how long it holds out. I think plastic fenders are more adaptable to this treatment than steel or aluminum. The SKS fenders are relatively inexpensive and I'm betting they'll be fine for a long time.

The P-45's work well with 1.5 inch tires, but with wider tires it could be a tight squeeze.

Best wishes.

Last edited by Louis; 10-28-10 at 11:25 AM.