Old 10-30-10, 07:08 AM
john423
Rain, rain go away

Bikes: 2009 Schwinn Sierra GS; 2010 Specialized Allez Elite Compact; 2009 Jamis Coda Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm gonna go out later today and get some practice clipping in at what should be a deserted pretty big parking lot on the local college campus, then try to do some riding as suggested by a cue sheet by the local road club.

I seem to do OK getting my unclipped shoe to do some pedaling, enough to get the bike going and get it coasting a bit so I can clip in. Probably because last ride I was constantly in a easy gear from pulling hills. I got a long way to go in this stuff, but I won't get close to competent unless I practice.

Problem is, it's freaking cold out today, though it's supposed to warm up later in the afternoon. I guess I gotta get some leg warmers. Good idea about saving money on some stuff, rschleicher. I've tried to look at a Bicycling magazine before, and it seems to be a lot of stuff that doesn't apply to me, like the best $5,000 carbon bike frame. I'm still in a panic over spending $1,500. If I can spend $5,000 on a carbon bike frame, I've hit the lottery.

Do you guys who ride road bikes ride year-round, or is there a time when you say "too cold," and away goes the road bike? This is why I wish I'd spent the money on a better commuter bike - I can commute year-round, generally. There was one stretch last year where it stayed at around 15 below for days, and that's too cold for me to bike, but otherwise, it was OK. I biked to work on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day last year.