View Single Post
Old 10-30-10, 10:07 AM
schreck

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reopening to avoid creating a new thread...

I picked up a 1977 Trek TX70x at a yard sale. Began stripping it down. All was well until i couldnt get the quill stem out of the steerer. After googling and referring to Sheldon Brown, its been about a week and still no luck. I decided to cut off the stem to free it from the frame (the fork is much less replaceable than the aluminum stem). I then started soaking it in vinegar (as per yellowjersey's recommendations). Its been a few days but it hasnt budged.

Now im thinking about taking up some people on throwing the blowtorch at it. This should free the aluminum from the steel. Hopefully by heating both parts, and then rapidly cooling them the stem should come free.... otherwise i can just melt out the aluminum!?? And if that doesnt work, i may as well bust out the drill and start slowly boring out the aluminum.

Anyone have any good recommendations? Is vinegar going to penetrate the corrosion better than say a different chemical agent? Also heard that oxalic acid could work (many people on the forum recommend it for stripping rust and paint from old frames)....