View Single Post
Old 10-31-10, 07:39 AM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
It appears to be about a 1975 Carlton built Raleigh. Late enough to have a non-cottered crank which makes it a little more appealing to some, but still old enough to carry the Carlton label. It probably has English threaded cups (nice to have if you ever had to replace your bb). As a Carlton, I believe your bike was still made in Worksop, not Nottingham.

The Super Course prices are all over the map. - On the LOW end, I've seen them go for $25-$40 in original, restorable condition, to $450 for a more polished example. Generally they'll go around $300, to someone who understands what they are and desires it.

Here is the catalog page with some detail.

The Super Course is a special favorite of mine - but I am not alone by any stretch: It has an avid following, in part because it is one of the most commonly available and historically important bikes from the era, and the ride is simply fabulous. Very very few bikes rival it, and another aspect it that it is extremely adaptable to many purposes. Examples of how owners have customized theirs are included in THIS THREAD .

(BTW - you ought to post yours there as well to join the fan club.)

Oh yeah - and welcome to C&V.