Old 11-02-10, 10:48 AM
scrapser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by briwasson
If you live in Silver Spring I'm surprised you aren't aware of all the great bike routes/trails in the DC area. Check out the excellent "Bike Washington" site at http://bikewashington.org/trails/index.htm for maps, descriptions, etc.

In short: the Capital Crescent or Rock Creek trails will get you within striking distance of the W&OD. Both drop you in/near Georgetown. From there, go across the bridge and take the short Custis trail over to where it connects with the W&OD. You could also hop on the C&O, take it to White's Ferry, cross the Potomac on the ferry, ride up to Leesburg, and then catch the W&OD there (although that's probably a bit longer, it's prettier for the most part because you are on the towpath).
Thanks for the feedback. I have not ridden many of the bike trails in DC mainly because I tend to ride the roads in my immediate vicinity (mainly west or northwest of Silver Spring out towards western Maryland). For me Rock Creek park is too congested with people in the summer (joggers, roller-bladers, baby carriages, dogs on leashes...it just gets old after a while). I know about the C&O but would rather stay off gravel trails to save my tires for the long haul (I will also be pulling a trailer). Riding on the roads around here can be scary but as you get further out it settles down to something akin to normal traffic levels. I will be leaving early on a weekend day so the commuters should not be an issue.