2ndGen
CAADdict

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
7800 is the cat's pyjamas and the dog's bollocks. I love that this stuff is nearly indestructible--still using the same cranks, derailleurs, brakes & levers from 2005. I've used up a few cassettes, probably more than a dozen chains, and a few re-cablings, but the stuff just doesn't wear out. I started buying replacements for when it does, but it's been languishing in my garage for just over two years now. If there is one nit worth picking, it's that the chains & cassettes don't last as long as the old 7400 stuff, but when you consider how much lighter it is and what a PITA it is to go back to riding an old 8-speed freewheel...

The 7800 crank is the sexiest aluminum thing since the late-80's C-Record.

7800's classic lines made it the obvious choice for my '86 Schwinn Peloton build (will probably be replacing the Sante calipers with 7800 this winter):

There's no way this bike would have had the classic look with that new, wonky, Lego-ish 7900 group Shimano came out with.

From an aesthetics perspective, 7900 is Shimano's Godfather III IMO. I've read a few folks in here who've said disparaging things about Shimano's rushing 7900's release. And I've heard a few @$$ram-fanbois tout their stuff, but even the Sram Red lacks 7800 buttery smoothness.
A) Nice Scwhinn!

B) Do you replace cassettes/chains with 7800/7801?
Have you ever used Ultegra 6600 cassettes which
are said to last much longer than 7800's?

Last edited by 2ndGen; 11-02-10 at 04:46 PM.