Old 11-04-10, 04:33 PM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pstock
Frame material questions have been hashed out almost to death here. So if someone can steer me to an exisiting thread on this question, I would be grateful.

On the return from a trip this past Spring to France, I packed up and brought back with me a couple of what I thought were rather nice and marketable aluminum framed bikes - Colnago, Fondriest, Pinarello - some all aluminum, some with carbon forks. I kept one, my brother took one and I figured I could sell the rest to someone just getting into road cycling, wanting a good setup for less than Carbon.
How naive of me. (but then I only ride old steel...)
The market here in Toronto at least seems to have simply moved on from aluminum.

I have had some interest in vintage steel but I can't get anyone to even consider well-equipped, excellent condition aluminum. It seems to be carbon-carbon-carbon even for beginners. (though admittedly it might be a pricing issue and I will see if that resistance fades next spring with some healthy price cuts.)

An LBS I stopped in the other day explained to me that their range of aluminum is from about $1000 -$2000 and their carbon starts at $2500.
Carbon it seems is getting so common and cheap that it makes me wonder why anyone would every consider an aluminum frame - either new or used?

is aluminum going the way of the dodo? Now that its function as an intermediate step to get a lighter-than-steel frame is being usurped by carbon, does aluminum have any future at all?

and with that question, I am off to ebay to check the Completed Sale prices of aluminum frames!

Peter
On one hand aluminum frames are dead with carbon frames coming down in price to under $2,000. On the other hand look at the CAAD 9 and CAAD 10 - they fly off the showroom floor.