irclean
Born Again Pagan

Bikes: Schwinn hybrid, Raleigh MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CraigB
irclean, I wouldn't discount the benefit you might gain from joining WW yourself. I followed one week behind my wife in joining, and had decidedly mixed feelings about going those first couple of weeks, but I've come to actually look forward to the meetings and the comaraderie and shared sense of purpose the meetings engender (of course, a lot depends on the quality of the leader).

In short, I find they provide me with the motivation I need to keep on track during the times my wife and I are apart, and there's no one around me to be accountable to but myself. And let's face it, that's the majority of our waking lives unless you happen to be a couple that works together through the week.
Thanks for the insight, CraigB, I heartily agree with you. I already have a support group/network in place; I've been drug-free (including alcohol) for nearly twenty years... hence the name "irclean". The majority of my peers in that group can relate to my struggle with food, as there is a tendency for recovering substance abusers to turn to food/sex/gambling as a substitute. I've already asked the other members in my group to call me on my behavior if they catch me ordering a donut when we go out for our post-meeting coffee. Luckily for me the principles that I've learned to apply in my life to keep me clean transition well into helping me with my weight. I just had to hit my bottom, weight-wise, which I feel I have. The biggest difference, of course, is that one does not need illicit drugs and/or alcohol to survive, but food remains a necessary evil. I can't just not keep food in my house anymore, but I can avoid bringing my triggers (sweets, processed foods, etc.) home with me. My wife helps with that.