View Single Post
Old 11-05-10, 08:53 PM
Hezz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by geraldatwork
I am looking for an inexpensive (which is relative) lighter weight winter jacket, mostly for road riding but some mountain. I ride down to about 25-30 degrees. My rides in the winter are about 50 miles. My main concerns are wind blockage and transfer of sweat.

I have a heavy weight jacket made out of some poly material. Great with one base layer down to 30 degrees but when I take it off at a rest stop the inside is soaking wet. I mostly use a wind break shell which does have some ventilation. However down to 25-30 degrees I need 3+ base layers and is still a little wetter inside than I prefer.
thanks
Any goretex or similar cycling jacket will work. They are not insulated so you adjust that by what you wear under it. Lot's of people like the Foxwear Evap jacket as has been mentioned. I think the Evap jacket is made from eVent which is better but more expensive than Goretex. Most jackets made from eVent are over 200 dollars but the Evap jacket is more like 100-120 dollars as I recall. A good deal for an eVent jacket. Gore also makes good cycling jacket at a reasonable price point.

You have too many base layers on. You should never need more than 3 total layers. The first one use a very breathable open weave wicking long sleeve undershirt. Ski long johns are cheap and work great. Make sure they are not cotton. Use a polar fleece or wool long sleeve middle layer then your cycling jacket. Make sure the middle layer is not the kind of fleece that has a membrane in it. The cheap stuff works better for insulation layer since it breaths better and also wicks better. An open weave wool sweater will probably work good as the middle layer too.

Also, you need to be realistic. If you ride hard you will never stay totally dry in winter. But you can stay comfortable.

Last edited by Hezz; 11-05-10 at 09:00 PM.