View Single Post
Old 11-06-10, 09:49 AM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a Jandd Extreme on the front of my LHT. I think the Expedition is intended to be a rear rack. Anyway, my Extreme went on easily with one problem. The rack width was wider than the width of the fork - when I went to bolt the rack to the sockets in the sides of the fork legs there were big gaps. I didn't want to try to squeeze the rack to make it fit. The easy solution is spacers. I took off a Tubus Tara to replace it with the Extreme. The Tubus had spacers which worked perfectly. If I didn' have spacers it would be easy to go to the hardware store for nylon spacers. I've used them for other applications since.

I really like having the platform on the Extreme. The Tubus was a great rack, but didn't have a platform. I put my Big Agnes air mattress on it, and when I'm touring in bear country I put my Ursack on it as well. It's very strong and rigid.

The only thing I don't like about the Extreme is that when the front wheel flops to the side the rack hits the adjusting barrels on the downtube. So far it hasn't caused a problem, but I'm afraid one of these days it will knock one of them loose. I've heard others complain of this as well. It would be an easy fix. Well, Jandd....**********