View Single Post
Old 11-07-10, 12:08 AM
madprofessor100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
It sounds like you're double counting your exercise.

From the Daily Plate website:
"If you intend to use The Daily Plate's fitness and exercise tracker, use the dropdown above only to estimate your daily activity outside of your fitness routine.

If you don't want to track all of your physical fitness and exercise, you should use the dropdown above to estimate all of your daily activity."

So if you use the 'very active' Activity Level setting you shouldn't be adding in any additional activities. If you want to track your activities use a lower Activity Level that doesn't include your exercise like 'lightly active' or 'sedentary'.
ah ha. That makes sense. I assumed that the activity level setting would just change how they estimated my resting metabolic rate. "very active" is a very vague category so I think I'll set it at "lightly active" or "sedentary and add my own activities. Thanks!

Milkrace yes, I think estimating calories burned from exercising is going to be extremely difficult since I don't have a heart rate monitor or power meter. I'm never sure how to estimate calories burned from cycling since I'm doing a lot of climbing. Does anyone have any ideas how I can estimate this? My typical ride involves climbing up steep hills and riding down them (usually a bit of a zigzag both ways). I usually coast with a little bit of breaking during my descents (so I don't get a speeding ticket or get in an accident) but in general, can my average speed tell me anything about how many calories I burned?

Oban_kobi I agree that I shouldn't sweat the extra pounds too much, but I would like to lose a few pounds for the sake of my performance. Also, I'm a few pounds over the acceptable BMI for my height and because I'm young, I would like to make sure that I have my weight under control before it gets even harder to maintain it.