View Single Post
Old 11-07-10, 03:56 PM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Without actually every having used that particular web site, I am also guessing you are double counting. Your activity level is already figured into your target calorie number.

I would say forget about trying to figure out how many calories each particular bit of excercise burns. Figure out your target number (sounds like 1900?) and stick to it, or close to it, every day. If you did a huge ride, you can cut yourself a little slack, but you want to try to use your calories to fuel the ride (before/during the ride) rather than as a reward for the ride. If you say "I burned 1000 calories so I get an extra 1000 calories to eat" your missing the point, which is to build a deficit.

You'll know if your target number is right because if it is right, you will lose your targeted amount of weight per week if you stick to it. If you are sticking to it and not losing weight, the number is too high. If you aren't rigorously recording your intake, it's super easy to not stick to your number, it only takes a minute to consume 500 calories of chips or ice cream. (doh!)

By the way, I am also 5'2" female, 45 years old, and vary from 110-118 pounds. I feel good at / below 112, and a bit pudgy over 115 -- yes, i know that's a tiny range - but on a tiny person, each pound is pretty noticeable. And with the very low power output I have, every pound counts a lot against that crucial hill-climbing power-to-weight ratio.

When I'm trying to drop a few pounds, I target about 1800/day in summer (lots of riding, 200 - 300 miles/week, most of it very mountainous,) and 1500 in winter (little riding). Obviously your number won't be the same as mine.

For those who say "it's ok as long as you are fit" um, sorry no. Madprofessor100, good on you for taking on your weight loss -- I have a pretty small build, so I'm not saying you should weigh what I weigh, but I bet at 120 you will be psyched at your hill climbing performance, and your knees, hips, pancreas, arteries and heart will thank you in the long run.