Old 11-08-10, 11:16 AM
silentben

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale Synapse carbon 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautiful pics Sagebum!

Yesterday I got wet and muddy on the road bike. After eyeing the skies all morning I finally spotted a break in the clouds and headed out a little after 3:00pm. As I was prepping the bike the blue hole in the clouds kept getting bigger and so I decided to leave the rain jacket at home ... I'm sure you know where this is headed

Since it was late in the day I stayed close to home and did some fun curvy and rolly roads through some of the neighborhoods where people much richer than me live. I explored a few new-to-me roads that I pass every day on my commute but never take because I'm in a hurry to work or to get home. Nice to just go out on a relaxed ride and look around at the trees and the clouds and the mud puddles.

On the way home I was exploring another new-to-me road when it dead-ended ... sort of. The pavement ends and there's a gate but the road (Overlook Rd) does continue and eventually connects through to more pavement after about 1.2. I had seen this dirt connector on the map and wanted to take it before but wasn't quite planning on doing it this weekend. But there I was and there the road was. Plus I was going to have to wash my bike anyway so why not make it really muddy?

Anyway I survived the dirt/mud even on skinny tires in the rain. One novelty was having to pedal even on the downhill bits because my tires were digging into the ground so much. Oh yeah it was actually raining pretty solidly at this point. Convenient that my jacket was at home!

20 miles, 2100', 14mph