View Single Post
Old 11-08-10, 04:53 PM
chrisb71

Bikes: 09 Jamis Aurora, 4 Giant ATX 870, 64 Schwin Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only other thing not mentioned above would be after turning to stay on the right, and stop when you come to the next intersection (where you turn left) and here stop in front of the traffic going the direction you are going to go, turn your bike 90 degrees, and wait for the signal change to proceed down that street when the rest of the traffic does. Sometimes I have to do that with heavy traffic if there's a left and I can't get over to the left turn lane.

I try to take the lane on turns for the same reason: it forces cars to not be able to hook you. Because not all cars merge right as far as they can before making the turn (I believe it is the law here) On right turns it works well. (though I don't have very fast streets like the OP so merging into the turn lane is pretty easy)

But on left turns I often have the same problem as the OP: I signal left, get into the left lane, and some maniac floors it crossing the double yellow to go around me so they can turn left first, or go straight. I have no idea what to do about those people.