View Single Post
Old 11-08-10, 09:02 PM
eddubal
Mud, Gore & Guts

Bikes: 2012 Van Dessel Gin & Trombones; 2011 Masi Speciale SSCX; '87 Peugeot Cannonball Express

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That reminds me of a ride about 10 years ago. I ended up hitting a pile of razor knife blades. It sliced my tire bead to bead. It went right through my tire, toughies and tube like they were butter.

Your glass chunk was probably like those razor blades. It sliced your tire, not puncturing it. There's not much that will stop that. Toughies are there to prevent punctures, not slices. Nothing will do that. Your aluminum strip idea will probably prevent a total slice, but will probably backfire on you. The strip will wear on the tube and do the exact thing that you are trying to prevent. The edge rubbing against the tube will probably slice it. Even if your strips prevent a slice on the tread, glass can slice the sidewall quite easily. It's just one of those things. My toughies have been very worth it even if they didn't stop the razors. They did prevent a puncture by a 1/2" lag screw stuck in my tire.